Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hang Your Stockings With Christmas Cheer, 'Cause Santa Claus Comes Tonight

(Singles are italicized, recommendations are in red.)

What can be said about Mariah Carey that hasn't been said before? With a 20-year music career under her belt, multiple marriages, a mental breakdown, and 12 albums later, this Diva's been through quite a lot.

Following the success of her first Christmas album - titled Merry Christmas - there's no need to wonder why Mimi would title her second Christmas album Merry Christmas II You (pun clearly intended, as she makes clear in just about every interview she's done to promote the album). It's also no surprise that she would mimic almost the exact same pose that she held for her first Christmas album's cover back in 1994 - 16 years ago. Fans and critics alike dub Mariah "Ms. Christmas", as they should. Anyone can tell that she really put her heart and soul into this album.

1. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Intro) - A 23-second instrumental of the chorus for the song "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". It's featured as the first 23 seconds of her "Oh Santa!" music video, because this track seamlessly segues into . . .

2. Oh Santa! - The very first single released from the album. It's a really catchy song that's got a chorus that will have you hooked. Mariah asks Santa to bring her lover back to her for Christmas.

3. O Little Town Of Bethlehem / Little Drummer Boy Medley - I'm really indifferent towards this one. It's a very weird combination of songs, but I sorta like it.

4. Christmas Time Is In The Air Again - The second original song off the album ("Oh Santa!" being the first). This song is just about feeling good about the Christmas season. The concept is good, however, in this song, it seems as if Mariah has come down with what I like to call "The Charmbracelet Symptoms" - that is, 'whispering' the lyrics through more than half the song, belting out a few notes towards the end, and ending the song. It's not a great concept, but I'm in love with the simple yet charming lyrics, so I'd recommend it I think.

5. The First Noel / Born Is The King Interlude - Okay, I'm really not liking this whole concept of Christmas mashups she's done on this album. This is definitely a step up from the previous mashup on here, and I do like this one I suppose.

6. When Christmas Comes - I'm in love with this. It's another original song, and this time she really really sings, not whispers.

7. Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) / Housetop Celebration - Oddly enough, I really love this song too. It's a ghetto-ified version of "Here Comes Santa Claus", but it's funky and I can't stop listening to it. Just get rid of Jermaine Dupri's annoying hollering at random places throughout, and this song would be 100% perfect.

8. Charlie Brown Christmas - Mariah's cover of the classic "Christmas Time Is Here", from the Peanuts holiday special. It's really nice.

9. O Come All Ye Faithful / Hallelujah Chorus [featuring Patricia Carey] - I tried really really hard to like this one, but to be fair, I don't think I can say that I gave it much of a chance. This one features Mariah's mother, who is an opera singer. I'm just not a huge fan of opera, so naturally I was relatively pessimistic upon listening.

10. O Holy Night (Live) - The live version of her rendition of the classic from her first Christmas album. Recorded 10 years ago in 2000, I really do like this one. A music video for this live version was made when it was first recorded in 2000, and it's beautiful, so you should check that out if you have the chance.

11. One Child - The final original song on the album. It's not great, but it's not horrible.

12. All I Want For Christmas Is You (Extra Festive) - Mariah's re-recorded version of her 1994 classic. Revamped with an all-new instrumental intro, a remixed track, and an extended ending, this one's a keeper. Though it's evident that her vocals aren't as strong as they were 16 years ago, it's still a great listen, and I love the ending, in which she beautifully vocalizes and chants "All I want / All I really want is / Want is / Want is / Want is / You". Though you can sorta hear this on the original as it fades out, it's a great addition to this re-recorded, 'Extra Festive' remix.

13. Auld Lang Syne (The New Year's Anthem) - The first 50 seconds or so start off like a Gospel song, but then it turns into a funky techno-ish celebration song that makes you want to just get up and dance. Or fist pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment