Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ha Ha, Hoo Hoo, Thought You'd Get the Money Too

(Singles are italicized. Recommendations are in red.)

When this album was released in 2001, I was just turning 9 years old, so it's understandable that "All For You" was one of the VERY few Janet Jackson songs I was familiar with (actually, aside from "Doesn't Really Matter", I think it was the only Janet song I was familiar with). I was curious, and decided I would give this album a go. Despite all of its many releases and re-releases, the original edition that first came out is probably still my favorite one.

1. "Intro" - A typical album intro, in which Janet and her friend are talking, and ends with the friend telling Janet she sounds like Fran Drescher. This results in Janet mimicking Drescher's nasally laugh, segueing into the second track.

2. "You Ain't Right" - An angry song where Janet sings about an ex-BFF that turns out to be a backstabber.

3. "All for You" - The album's first (technically second) single. We all know it, we all love it, the end.

4. "2wayforyou" (Interlude) - A weird interlude that I still don't really fully understand to this day.

5. "Come On Get Up" - I loved this song upon first listen. It's just something about the beat, the chorus, and all its energy that just really gets me everytime.

6. "When We Oooo" - This song's pretty weird and hypnotic at the same time. You're thinking 'whoa, this song's weird!', yet at the same time you just can't turn it off.

7. "China Love" - Another song I don't understand at all. I don't like it, and could definitely do without it. It's so strange to the point that it's eery.

8. "Love Scene (Ooh Baby)" - I'm not sure if when I listen to this I'm still shaken by the strangeness of the previous track, but this one is still kinda weird. It's sexual, but still just...weird.

9. "Would You Mind" - This steamy, overtly sexual song got the album banned in Singapore! It's so sexual that on the clean version of the album, it's omitted completely. Janet goes into explicit detail about what she's gonna do to her lover when she sees him, and leaves NOTHING to the imagination. It's dirty, but it's a guilty pleasure.

10. "Lame" (Interlude) - Janet proclaims "You men - and you might wanna get this on tape - you men are just lame at times! I'm tellin' you! *Sigh* See..."

11. "Trust a Try" - This is a new direction for Miss Jackson. And I like it. It's got a hard rock feel and Janet tells her lover that they need to trust each other. The title's a bit weird, as it's just a segment of the main line of the chorus, and not the whole line. I would have simply called it "Trust" or even "Give Trust a Try". To each his own, I suppose.

12. "Clouds" (Interlude) (featuring Carly Simon) - I suppose this is a prequel, intro - or whatever you wanna call it - to the next song.

13. "Son of a Gun [I Betcha Think This Song Is About You]" (featuring Carly Simon) - Janet cleverly (and angrily) incorporates Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" into one of the angriest songs on the album.

14. "Truth" - This is another strange song. It's just not typical Janet.

15. "Theory" (Interlude) - Hey! How about a break from recording? No? Okay, onto the next song!

16. "Someone to Call My Lover" - Hey everybody! Janet's desperate! Or horny! Yeah, it's probably a combination of both. Janet fantasizes about her dream guy on one of the stronger songs on the album. Great choice for a single.

17. "Feels So Right" - A sweet song about fate and love. It's nice, peaceful and relaxing.

18. "Doesn't Really Matter (Album Version)" - Technically the first single off the album. For the album version, it's slightly different in the beginning and incorporates dance breaks in the middle.

19. "Better Days" - An optimistic Janet explains her turn in attitude, most notably reflected in her previous album, "The Velvet Rope". She tells the audience that she's "About to change my vibe / Today the sun's gon' shine / 'Cuz I made up my mind / That today will be the start of better days".

20. "Outro" - Janet asks the producer what he thinks of the album. He likes it, and Janet says that she hopes everyone else will.

BONUS TRACKS:

1. "Who" - I'm not too familiar with this one (heard it a few times, not too many though), it's good. (Available on Japanese pressings.)

2. "Son of a Gun (The Original Flyte Tyme Remix featuring Missy Elliott)" - The version of the song that was released as the single. (Appears as track 20 on the Limited Edition, which uses the clean version of the original album, but omits the P. Diddy remix with Missy AND Diddy.)

3. "Son of a Gun (P. Diddy Remix featuring P. Diddy and Missy Elliott)" - This time, P. Diddy AND Missy lend their vocals. Missy's verses are the same. (Appears as track 20 on the clean version of the album.)

4. "Son of a Gun (P. Diddy Remix featuring Missy Elliott)" - Same as above, but removes Diddy's vocals. Oddly enough, this one runs longer. (Appears as track 21 on the Limited Edition.)

No comments:

Post a Comment