Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Really Wanna Know What We Did Wrong, With A Love That Felt So Strong...

Okay, I will admit, the resurgence of my love for Britney has certainly been reflected in this review blog. Hang on tight, after this single review there's only 2 more studio albums and 2 compilation albums by her to review! I probably won't review them all in a row, so we'll be taking a Britney break after this.

This song was released as her debut album (...Baby One More Time)'s fourth single in some European countries, and shockingly enough, there's quite a bit of history surrounding this song.

Originally, the song was a lot more sexual and mature than the final product, and apparently the only way the then- 16-year-old Britney agreed to do this one was if they altered lyrics and verses to become less explicit. I would sure love to know what the original lyrics were!

Another interesting fact I learned in my research of the song: For the original concept of the video, they were going to have Britney in a dream, dwelling on the past of her and her ex, but there's a twist! She was pregnant with his kid! Apparently the storyline leaked and there was lots of negative feedback, so the record company changed the concept. Would have been interesting to see how the video would have turned out had they gone with their original concept.

Sure, I did find this CD Single as an import in FYE for $6.99 tonight, and I would be lying if I said I didn't overpay for it. But I couldn't not pass this one up. This is probably my favorite Pop song of all time. It's just so sweet. Plus, this version of the CD single definitely offers the most material. Sure, I did already own mp3s of these 4 tracks, but i wanted the official release. Here's my short-but-sweet review:

1. Born to Make You Happy (Radio Edit) - The original, amazing song that has been butchered for radio airplay. It's bittersweet that they didn't release BTMYH as a single here in the U.S., because it's such a beautiful song. On the other hand, the radio edit cuts the last 30 seconds of the song, in which Britney belts out the final half of the song's chorus. It's absolutely amazing, but unfortunately, it was cut from the radio edit.

2. Born to Make You Happy (Bonus Remix) - I don't think I'd technically call this one a remix. More like an acoustic version. This one features Britney and a guitar, with minimal other instruments. It's great, and really shows off her vocal abilities. I'm not really sure if I prefer this one or the album version better.

3. (You Drive Me) Crazy (Jazzy Jim's Hip-Hop Mix) - The same vocals and lyrics are used here as the ones used in the "Stop! Remix", but they are placed over a different beat. It's really funky and cool, I just wish they had used the vocals and lyrics that they used for the original album mix.

4. ...Baby One More Time (Answering Machine Message) - A 21-second instrumental of Britney's debut single ...Baby One More Time, in which Britney tells people that the recipient of the call can't come to the phone, and that they should leave a message, and "Baby, they'll call you back...one more time!", followed by the "Hit me baby one more time!" used in the chorus of the song. It's clever and fun for some hardcore fans, but somewhat useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment