Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm Drunk And So Is Everyone Else, In This Devil Town

(Singles are italicized, recommendations are in red.)

Had I not gone to a concert last weekend that featured 3OH!3, Travie McCoy and Cobra Starship, I'm almost positive that I would still dislike 3OH!3 as strongly as I did when "Don't Trust Me" and "Starstrukk" were in heavy rotation on radio stations a year ago.

Luckily all that changed last weekend (mainly because the tickets were just $10 - Hell, I paid more for the CD than I did for the concert!). 3OH!3 was definitely the most memorable act of the concert, and they sounded just as good (maybe even better) live than they did on their record. They performed two songs from their new album (out June 29th in the U.S.), but the majority of the songs performed were from their major-label debut, Want. They did also perform a few songs from their independently-released, self-titled debut, but the songs they performed from Want really stood out and convinced me to go out and buy the album.

1. Tapp - The instrumental intro to the album. It's pretty pointless but awesome at the same time. It would have made for an awesome full-length song if it was a little longer and included lyrics.

2. PunkBitch - A fun and wild song that really sets the actual album off on the right foot.

3. Don't Trust Me - The huge smash hit that landed the band on the charts last year. It's been so overplayed, but that's not to say it's not worth the listen every once in a while, especially if you're listening to the album all the way through.

4. ChokeChain - The first of two songs that originally appeared on their self-titled independently-released album. This wild song with its crazy vocals and beat is very reminiscent of something Lil' Jon would do. Very much so that you almost forget that these guys are white...at least for 3 minutes and 32 seconds.

5. I'm Not Your Boyfriend, Baby - I'll sound repetitive if I refer to this song as being wild, fun,crazy, or a party song. That's just the nature of 3OH!3. But that's what this one is.

6. I Can't Do It Alone - This is different from all the other songs so far. They aren't screaming in this one, but it's just very interesting. I can't really explain it!

7. Starstrukk - After hearing the remix with Katy Perry about a million times, it's weird going back and listening to the original. I like it!

8. RichMan - They did this one at the concert, and I'm pretty sure their performance of this made me want the album. It's definitely one of the best on here.

9. PhotoFinnish - I don't really understand this one. Is the title a shout out to their record company? I don't like how one guy's vocals are distorted deep, and the other's is distorted high-ish. It's a weird song.

10. Still Around - A slow, mellow song by 3OH!3?! No way! Yeah, it is! No distorted vocals, no screaming. None of that. It's the best song on the album by far, and I could have it on repeat for hours on end.

11. Holler Till You Pass Out - The second song that was originally on their independently released self titled album. Again, too much distortion of the vocals, and the bass is insanely high.

12. Colorado Sunrise - Another normal one where they just sing! I love it!

13. Starstrukk (Featuring Katy Perry) - THIS is the version we've all heard. I think I still prefer the original one's music, buy Perry's vocals are pretty good and they really switch things up.

14. Don't Trust Me (Benny Blanco Remix) (Featuring Kid Cudi) - Essentially the same as the original, except the first verse of the song was replaced by a rap by Kid Cudi.

15. Still Around (Big Mix) - This is more or less an extended version of the original, but slightly remixed. Either way it's a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment