Wednesday, May 12, 2010

After what we did the other night, I wanna be with you for all my life, and I'm so glad you're a freak like me!

(Singles are italicized, recommendations are in red.)

Macy Gray's second studio album is not called The I.D., it's called The Id. Though I wouldn't blame you if you got it confused. The lack of proper grammar on the album's cover threw me off at first too. An Id is a psychological term which is defined as, in the album's disc tray insert as "the part of the psyche that is the source of instinctual impulses and demands for satisfaction". The definition is then followed by a quote by Macy herself. It reads, "What you do before you think. The real you...unedited." Both the definition and the quote (which seems to be Gray's own personal continuation of the definition) hold true to the theme of the album. The emotions on the album are all over the place, but it makes for an intense album!

1. Relating to a Psychopath - Not the best way to open up the album, but it's a decent song.

2. Boo - An intense song about love. Macy sings about all the "b*****s on [her] a**" and how "If this is love // It's a good thing // You don't hate me!"

3. Sexual Revolution - In this one, Gray isn't feeling lovey, she's feeling frisky, and it really shows here! It starts off slow, but it eventually picks up into what turns into just an average song at best.

4. Hey Young World Part 2 - I like this one! It's an inspirational song to children. I'm not too familiar with Slick Rick's original version, but his appearance on here is nice!

5. Sweet Baby - This is such a great song. It was the lead single off the album, which is why I'm surprised the album didn't sell better than it did!

6. Harry - I never really liked this one. It's got a good rock-'n'-roll vibe, but the gospely voices of the background singers just really ruin it. They sound so out of place!

7. Gimme All Your Lovin' Or I Will Kill You - At first you just want to laugh this off as a silly humorous joke (in vein of "I've Committed Murder" from her debut album), but after a while it becomes excessively violent. So excessively violent to the point where it's creepy. A good kind of creepy, I think.

8. Don't Come Around - A sad little breakup song about the heartbreak of remaining friends with your ex. It's the most normal song on the album (alongside Sweet Baby), and it's a very good listen.

9. My Nutmeg Phantasy - This one's strange but you just have to accept it for what it is. I really like it though!

10. Freak Like Me - You'd think this would be a really explicit and in-your-face track, when in reality it isn't. It's more balladish, and it has that little hint of '70s funk!

11. Oblivion - I can honestly say, hands down, this is the freakiest song I have ever heard. It's got carnival / masquerade type backing music, and it's just so out of place on this album. It's refreshing, so I like it, but it's just plain freaky!

12. Forgiveness - Strange beat, and Gray sounds somewhat intoxicated or hypnotized in this one, but the message that we all need forgiveness is great.

13. Blowin' Up Your Speakers - I don't really see the purpose in this one. It's just an instrumental of random instruments...

14. Shed - Though not mentioned on the album's artwork, it's available on all editions of the album. It's nothing special, but it's good. It almost reminds me of "Rather Hazy" from her debut album.

No comments:

Post a Comment