Saturday, April 24, 2010

You're All I See, Yeah, Oh, But Don't Come Near Me At All...

(Singles italicized. Recommendations are in red.)

The only child of Elvis Presley, Lisa Marie had lots to do to establish herself as her own individual, to prove that she was not simply "The King's daughter". Finally, in 2003, at 35 years old, it seemed to be time to do so. With her debut, To Whom It May Concern, it seemed that the album could be her own personal "letter" to the world that she wanted to be known for something other than being a Presley. A Presley who was married many, many times. In any case, To Whom It May Concern had decent sales, but those sales quickly dwindled, and she was back where she started. I'm not sure why, though. The album was a solid effort and although I only discovered it last year (after revisiting her sophomore attempt, Now What, after 4 years), I still find myself constantly listening to it.

1. S.O.B (Son of a Bitch) - LMP certainly holds nothing back in her first track. With awesome background music, strong and powerful vocals, and out-of-this-world metaphors, she truly starts the album off on the right foot.

2. The Road Between - A song about a lover that's out of your life, but not out of your head. Is there anyone who can't relate to this one?! A+ job.

3. Lights Out - Lisa Marie's debut single. Sometimes known by its working title (which was "Memphis"), it's a song written about her hometown, and her family there. Very good track, with a hint of country in it, but not overwhelming.

4. Better Beware - She's angry, so what else is new? It's not my favorite here, but it's a funky little song that makes you want to dance.

5. Nobody Noticed It - Reportedly written about her father, it's a sweet little soft rock song that's sometimes referred to by its working title "You Made Me, I Love You". Again, not my favorite, but it's worth a listen every once in a while.

6. Sinking In - Here we have another breakup song, but this time the tables have turned! Lisa hurt her man, he broke up with her, but she doesn't want it to end!

7. Important - This song is just plain weird. I don't really understand it. Or maybe I do, and just think I interpreted it all wrong. It's one of the low points on the album, but I don't mind it.

8. So Lovely - This song, written about her children, is just amazing. My favorite track on the album. If you tweak a few of the lyrics in some verses to your own liking, this makes a really sweet love song. I just can't put into words how much I love this song.

9. Indifferent - Like I said in other reviews, the track after my favorite song on each album just doesn't seem as good. I mean, I like this song, but (as I've said before), I think it's all about coming down from the high of the "favorite track".

10. Gone - One of those 'take it or leave it' songs that you just have to be in the mood for. I'm not sure I like her voice in this one. It almost seems like she's howling or something here. I'd say this is my least favorite track.

11. To Whom It May Concern - The title track is (shockingly) about...the medical world? LMP expresses her anger to what she feels are doctors' "There's something wrong with your kids? Drug them! That solves everything!" attitude. It sends out a very powerful message, and this track also has a hint of country to it.

BONUS TRACKS:

12. Excuse Me - (Note: On U.S. pressings, this is appended to the end of track 11). Using only a guitar and her voice, LMP really rocks it. It's quite a random song, but I like it anyway.

13. Savior - (Included at the end of Excuse Me, which is indexed as track 12 on Non-U.S. pressings. This does not appear on U.S. pressings). This song is all about betrayal, and the tone, music, lyrics, and vocals are all simply haunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment