Monday, April 19, 2010

We Can Live Forever, I Can Be Your Pagan Angel, Angel, Beautiful Dangerous...

(Singles are italicized, recommendations are in red.)

I totally stumbled upon Slash's debut album Slash -- sometimes referred to by fans as Slash & Friends or R&FNR (that is, Rock 'n' F****n' Roll) -- by mistake. I was browsing the iTunes top 100 songs, and came across the song from this album called "Beautiful Dangerous", which featured Fergie. I loved Fergie's solo album, so I decided to preview "Beautiful Dangerous". Loved it. Loved the energy. The lyrics. The hard rock feel. So I decided to give the rest of the album a try.

I'm not a huge hard rock fan, and I'm still young, so I had no clue who Slash was at first. I Wikipedia'd him (yeah, I just turned that into a verb), and found out he was the guitarist for Guns 'N' Roses. Don't judge. I knew who Guns 'N' Roses are, I was just never a big enough fan to learn the band members' names or albums. I knew a few of their signature songs (Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, Knockin' on Heaven's Door and Welcome to the Jungle were the only ones), but that's about it.

Anyways, I'm glad Slash collaborated with such a wide variety of artists for his record. It kept me hooked the entire time.

1. "Ghosts" (featuring Ian Astbury) - What a great album opener. I'm not too familiar with the band U2, but this sounds like a U2 song, although Astbury is part of the band The Cult.

2. "Crucify the Dead" (featuring Ozzy Osbourne & Taylor Hawkins) - Something about this song is just eerie. Not a bad kind of eerie, though. I like it.

3. "Beautiful Dangerous" (featuring Fergie) - This is, by leaps and bounds, my absolute favorite track on here. Fergie's stellar performance here shows that this chick can sing absolutely any type of music. She rocks it, and she rocks it good.

4. "Back from Cali" (featuring Myles Kennedy) - I have no idea who Myles Kennedy is (don't judge me if I should), but he's a good vocalist. His voice sounds like someone, I just can't quite put my finger on it. Great song.

5. "Promise" (featuring Chris Cornell) - This is my second favorite track on here. It's a mixture of eerie and awesome.

6. "By the Sword" (featuring Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother) - Here we have a slightly more mellow track, which slows down the pace of the album for a bit, but not in a bad way. It's a great addition here.

7. "Gotten" (featuring Adam Levine) - Levine's voice is so unique. Sometimes annoying at time, but they made it work for this track. It's another mellow track that I love.

8. "Doctor Alibi" (Lemmy Kilmister) - Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister lends his vocals to this track, that I can't say I like too much. I'm not a huge fan of songs that are screamed, and not sung, but that's just me.

9. "Watch This" (featuring Dave Grohl and Duff McKagan) - Velvet Revolver's Duff McKagan and Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl team up with Slash for this awesome instrumental track that is nothing but fun.

10. "I Hold On" (featuring Kid Rock) - Sure, I think he's trash, but I like me some Kid Rock every now and then. It's a good song, and it's refreshing to hear Kid Rock's voice after not having heard him in a few years.

11. "Nothing to Say" (featuring M. Shadows) - M. Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold teams up with Slash here for an okay track. It's not one of my favorites, but it's worth a listen or two.

12. "Starlight" (featuring Myles Kennedy) - Okay. I take back my statement that "Promise" was my second favorite track on the album. Second place is a toss-up between that and this one. LOVELOVELOVE this one.

13. "Saint is a Sinner Too" (featuring Rocco Deluca) - No idea who Rocco Deluca is, and that's probably for the best. His creepy voice intrudes on this very, very strange track. Skip this one.

14. "We're All Gonna Die" (featuring Iggy Pop) - The man will be 63 years old tomorrow (as I just found out when researching him), but he rocks it regardless. This is an awesome way to end the album.

BONUS TRACKS:

1. "Sahara" (featuring Inaba Koshi) - No idea what he's saying because it's in Japanese, but this song is just pure awesomeness from start to finish. (Appears as track 15 on Japanese pressings.)

2. "Chains and Shackles" (featuring Nick Oliveri) - I'm not a huge fan of this one. Perhaps it's because it's a "screamer" song. (Appears as track 15 on Australian pressings.)

3. "Paradise City" (featuring Fergie and Cypress Hill) - Fergie and Cypress Hill really rock this cover of a GNR classic. It's great. (Track 16 on Australian iTunes Pre-Ordered editions. Also track 15 on Brazillian pressings, as well as Best Buy and Napster exclusive editions.)

4. "Baby Can't Drive" (featuring Alice Cooper and Nicole Scherzinger) - Alice Cooper and Nicole Scherzinger of The Pussycat Dolls lends her vocals to this awesome track. (Track 16 on Brazillian pressings, as well as Best Buy and Napster exclusive editions. Also track 15 on Classic Rock Slashpack Edition.)

5. "Mother Maria" (featuring Beth Hart) - Whoever this chick is, she sounds like Melissa Etheridge. Not too sure if I like it or not, but it'll do for now. (Track 15 on U.S. iTunes Exclusive version.)

6. "Sahara (English Version)" (featuring Koshi Inaba) - The all-English version of the great song that was only available in Japan. (Was available as track 16 in the U.S. iTunes Music Store if you Pre-Ordered the album.)

No comments:

Post a Comment