Saturday, April 24, 2010

I'm Not Who You Think I Am. Let Go. Get Out While You Can.

(Singles are italicized, recommendations are in red.)

In early 2003, the music industry was not sitting well with me. Half of my favorite artists had just recently released material that I wasn't too satisfied with, while the other half had seemingly fallen off the face of the Earth. You could imagine my delight when a talented musician named Lucy Woodward released her single, "Dumb Girls" -- a fun and energetic, yet angry song that was just catchy enough to get me hooked. I quickly made it a point to own her debut album, but didn't get it right away (I wound up getting it for my birthday, almost 2 months after its release). It's a good thing I did, too! On a little side note, I found it cool that the album was released in Japan on my birthday, the day I got (the U.S. version of) the album!

1. Dumb Girls - The first single released off the album was a wise decision. As I said before, it's a fun and energetic, yet very angry song that was perfectly catchy. She's warning the listener to expect the unexpected, because anything that can happen will happen. Bravo!

2. Blindsided - This is the song that was chosen for the second single. Many critics and fans aren't too big on this one. They blame this song for Lucy not having more success, but I love it! It's so addictive!

3. Trust Me (You Don't Wanna See This) - Here we have my absolute favorite on the album. Lucy shows her freakier, sexier side on this one, while still maintaining her cool. You go, girl!

4. Is This Hollywood - I used to love it, but now it's not the greatest. I guess it just wore out its welcome after I listened to it for the millionth time. It's still a good track, though.

5. Trouble With Me - The third (and final) single. Another good rock track that I would recommend in a heartbeat.

6. What's Good For Me - You might recognize this from the 2003 Amanda Bynes movie What a Girl Wants. Look out, everybody! Lucy's determined to get what she wants and she will let nothing stop her!

7. Standing - A ballad! It's not a full-out, slow ballad. I'd call it...soft rock. It's a nice song about being strong through a breakup, that I'm sure we all can relate to.

8. The Breakdown - In a weird way, this song is somewhat inspirational. In this rock song that just so happens to be sandwiched between two ballads, Lucy is saying that there's love for everyone out there, you just have to look for it.

9. Always Something - I always used to skip this song for the longest time. I just didn't like having a ballad, a rock song, and another ballad. 7 years later, I've grown to really appreciate it, and it's my favorite ballad on here.

10. Gettin' It On - Lucy gets a little freaky here! She manages to keep it classy, though. She goes all out in this rock track, and it's a very excitable party tune.

11. Done - She slow things down for the final track with a nice ballad to wrap things up. It's a sad song about being used, but her voice is very nice here.

BONUS TRACKS

12. More To Life - Yes, this is the song that Stacie Orrico made popular. Woodward penned and originally recorded the song, but later gave it to Orrico to use. Woodward's version was not used on worldwide versions of her album, but it was used on Japanese perssings. You can't really compare Woodward's version to Orrico's. Their voices are too different, so it would be like comparing apples and oranges. Woodward's version definitely seems superior in any case.

13. Vine To Vine - I have never heard this song. It appears on Japanese pressings and is ultra rare. I would love to get ahold of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment