Sunday, April 18, 2010

Let's Get Lost, You Can Take Me Home...

(Italicized titles are singles. Songs in red are the ones I recommend.)

In the fall of 2008, Lady Gaga was still relatively unknown. Her first single, "Just Dance" had been released, but wasn't getting much airplay. Of course, I'm a sucker for artists who are still fresh or relatively unknown, because their music is always fresh! By January of 2009, I decided it was time to buy her full debut album, "The Fame". At that time, the MSRP for the album was just $9.99, so I was delighted to pick up my copy at FYE.

Fast forward a year and a half later, and here we are. We have Lady Gaga, the superstar, pop culture icon, and dance phenomenon. Her music's still as rich as ever, and with the release of "The Fame Mons†er" EP, we see a whole new side of Gaga...well... Not really.

DISC ONE - The Fame Mons†er:

1. "Bad Romance" - Upon first listen, the song seems strange, but after a while, it grows on you. We've all heard it, so it' s nothing new.

2. "Alejandro" - The brand new single from the EP is a personal favorite. It's clear that this song is an homage to ABBA and Ace of Base, from the beat of the song, to the lyrics and delivery.

3. "Mons†er" - Well, it wouldn't be a Gaga record without a completely eccentric, out-of-this-world song like this one. It's great, fresh, and definitely worth the listen.

4. "Speechless" - A nice, emotional ballad that was planned to be a single.

5. "Dance in the Dark" - Very funky, and a very great song! It just makes you want to go to the club and dance. Excellent!

6. "Telephone" (featuring Beyonce) - The EP's second single that has Gaga and B telling their lovers to stop bugging them while they're having a good time. I tell ya, no matter how many times I hear this, it never gets old.

7. "So Happy I Could Die" - I'm not gonna sugar coat this at all. This song is obviously about touching oneself, and it's one of the best songs that appears on here. It's another great song that makes you want to get up and dance. Very catchy.

8. "Teeth" - Gaga leaves us with another sex song, with a very interesting beat and concept. This song received generally negative reviews by fans and critics, but I honestly like it a lot.

DISC TWO - The Fame

1. "Just Dance" - Who hasn't heard this one?! This song is about letting all your troubles go, being carefree and just dancing. It's gonna be okay. The song introduced me to Gaga, and I fell in love after first listen.

2. "LoveGame" - Catchy at first, but starts to get old after a while. It's still good nonetheless. After all, all she wants to do is take a ride on your disco stick.

3. "Paparazzi" - Not quite sure how I should approach this one. It could either be received as extremely creepy and stalkerish, or sweet and ballsy. After all, it is Gaga, so nothing surprises me. Another winner.

4. "Poker Face" - I went from loving this one (before it was a single), to hating it (while it was hot on the charts when it was first release), and came full circle to loving it again (now that it's no longer played every 2 seconds). Very catchy, very good.

5. "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" - This ballad feels so out of place here, sandwiched between two feel good dance songs. It's a great, welcomed addition, but maybe they should've found another spot for it on the record.

6. "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" - 'Beautiful, Dirty, Rich' is probably one of my least favorites on the album. Don't get me wrong, it's catchy and good, but it's just not a favorite of mine for some reason.

7. "The Fame" - If it wasn't so repetitive, I'd like it a lot more. That's not to say that I don't like it, it's a good song. Just cut out a chorus or two.

8. "Money Honey" - This one's a take it or leave it track. You just have to be in the mood for it.

9. "Starstruck" (featuring Space Cowboy and Flo Rida) - I just can't get enough of this one! It's so addictive and VERY fun to dance to. Don't let this one pass you by.

10. "Boys, Boys, Boys" - Don't judge me, but I think this is my favorite off the entire album. It's just such a fun, catchy, feelgood song with a great beat and an addictive chorus.

11. "Paper Gangsta" - Catchy, but I'd say that Gaga should do less rap-style songs.

12. "Brown Eyes" - A sad ballad that is full of emotion, anger and sadness from Gaga.

13. "I Like It Rough" - Very kinky, disco-esque track that will have you putting this song on repeat and dancing forever.

14. "Summerboy" - Yet another addicting song about a summer love. Gaga really ends the U.S. version of the album on a high note. Bravo.

NON-US BONUS TRACKS:

15. "Disco Heaven" - I'm indifferent towards this one. It's another one of those songs that you just have to be in the mood for.

16. "Again Again" - This was originally included in the main tracklist on U.S. pressings, but they revised it and rereleased the album without this song, and it's a shame, because it's really good.

17. "Retro, Dance, Freak" - I don't know what's up with this song, it's very weird. It doesn't even sound like Gaga. I'm glad this wasn't included on U.S. pressings.

1 comment:

  1. While it's short enough to be one, Gaga considers TFM to be a full-length album. ;)

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete