Friday, April 23, 2010

Always and Forever, You and Me. That's the way our lives should be.



(Singles are italicized, recommendations are in red.)

Whether you like to admit it or not, you know Britney Spears changed the music industry forever when she released her debut single ...Baby One More Time in 1998, and her debut album of the same name in early 1999. Britney Spears became a household name almost instantly, and ...Baby One More Time not only became her biggest selling album to date, but also one of the best selling albums of all time. Recently, I found myself singing Born to Make You Happy in my head, which triggered memories of when my 8-year-old life was simple, 10 years ago (I didn't purchase the album right away). Flashbacks to me listening to the entire album and enjoying every second of the album. Why not share the love and review it?

1. ...Baby One More Time - Spears' debut single that everyone knew the words to back in the day. Interestingly enough, the song was written for successful female trio TLC (presumably for their Fanmail album, released a little over a month after this one). The girls rejected the song, and it was given to Spears. Good thing, too!

2. (You Drive Me) Crazy - I'm in love with the album version of the song. The "Stop! Remix", which was released as a single, just wasn't as good. Regardless, I love this song. From the electric guitar, to the lyrics, to Spears' natural vocals. It's all good.

3. Sometimes - Normally, I like Britney's ballads, but for some reason, this just doesn't cut it. I guess it makes sense, though, considering Britney herself says she never really liked the song. Oops!

4. Soda Pop - I don't know how I feel about this one. It's part reggae, part pop. Who's that man singing with her? This is one of those songs you just have to be in the mood for. If it's any consolation, Britney's vocals are great at parts of this one.

5. Born to Make You Happy - Oh. My. God. Britney definitely redeems herself (and then some)
with this song. This is such an absolutely amazing and phenomenal ballad and overall song. Her vocals are absolutely phenomenal here, and this is, without a doubt, my favorite Britney Spears song ever. It's about being in a state of desperation for somebody you're crazy about, and I'm sure everyone can relate to it at some point or another. Phenomenal song.

6. From the Bottom of My Broken Heart - I'm not sure if by this point in the record I am still coming down from the high that is the previous track, or if I'm just not a huge fan of this one. I like the lyrics and meaning of the song, I really do. Just something about Brit's vocals or the beat or something is just not doing it for me.

7. I Will Be There - Okay, this is good. It's a simple song about friendship, and Britney really shows off her powerful, natural vocals here.

8. I Will Still Love You (Duet with Don Philip) - Let's just discuss the elephant in the room here for a second. Who on Earth is Don Philip? Well, 11 years later, I decided to do some research. I was shocked to learn that back in '99, he was an up-and-coming pop singer who (by the pictures I've seen) appeared to be between the ages of 16 - 18. His debut album was only released in Japan (I'm guessing it was scrapped by Jive?), and from the clips I listened to he sounded really good. Don't know why he never made it. Anyways! This is a sweet ballad about always being there for your lover, no matter what happens. I enjoy it a lot, but Don Philips' vocals just sound so out of place here. I know I said he sounded good before, but that's when he's solo. His and Spears' vocals both contrast (and at the same time, blend) too much here.

9. Deep In My Heart - Wait. You mean to tell me that you've had this album for 11 years and you've never heard "Deep in My Heart"? Oh, that's because this is the bonus track that's only available on Non-U.S. pressings of the album! It's a good thing, too. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but it's also one of those 'take it or leave it' songs.

10. Thinkin' About You - Meh. I'm indifferent towards this one. I like the verses, but the chorus gets under my skin sometimes.

11. E-Mail My Heart - I don't care what the critics say. This is more than just some 'cheesy ballad'. I personally think it's great. It's my guilty pleasure on the album.

12. The Beat Goes On - This is a cover of the classic Sonny & Cher song. It's just not for me. Britney's vocals are just all weird here. Almost sounds like she's trying to sound like Christina Aguilera here.

13. I'll Never Stop Loving You - A Non-U.S. track. This ballad is just okay, but it's too similar to "I Will Still Love You" and "Deep in My Heart", in terms of concept.

14. Autumn Goodbye - Another Non-U.S. track. Well this one's sorta depressing, considering it's the 3rd or 4th breakup track on here. It's a really good one, though. I recommend it.

(The Davidson Ospina Remix and Boy Wunder Remix of ...Baby One More Time are included as tracks 15 and 16 respectively, but since they're simply remixes, there's no need to review them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment