Monday, April 19, 2010

There's a place downtown, where the freaks all come around...

(Singles are italicized, recommendations are in red.)


When you first heard the song "TiK ToK" and heard the name "Ke$ha", did you not think she was a Keri Hilson, Nikki Minaj, or Kelis wanna be from the ghetto? Did it ever cross your mind that she was a 22-year-old up and coming singer who originated in - wait for it - Nashville?! No, I didn't either.

I'll admit, I hated "TiK ToK" with a burning passion. But a friend convinced me to give the album a try, so I reluctantly did. I was surprised. Very surprised at what I heard! Seven years in the making, Animal not only shows Ke$ha's potential as an artist, but it shows that she's more than just "that TiK ToK girl". Interesting tidbit, before she was famous, Ke$ha and her family were featured on a season 3 episode of Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie's reality show, "The Simple Life". Ke$ha's family was one of the families the girls stayed with.

1. "Your Love Is My Drug" - The album's current single finds our girl Ke$ha admitting that she is like a "lovesick crackhead". It's a fun opening party track, that ends with Ke$ha saying "Hey / So / I like your beard".

2. "TiK ToK" - I don't like this song. At all. Never have, never will. Simple as that!

3. "Take It Off" - She really redeems herself here after the obnoxious disaster that is "TiK ToK". This one's another fun party song that is not to be taken too seriously.

4. "Kiss 'n' Tell" - Watch out everyone! Ke$ha's mad, and there's no stopping her. In this one, she yells at a girl for being a slut. Nonetheless, it's fun to listen to.

5. "Stephen" - The beginning is very weird, but once the song picks up, you're guaranteed to love it. It chronicles Ke$ha's desperation over a guy that won't call her. It's a nice, slower song, but it's a definite welcomed addition.

6. "Blah Blah Blah" (featuring 3OH!3) - Here's the song that I never ever get tired of, no matter how many times I hear it. It's the album's second single, and it's VERY fun to dance or rock out to, and 3OH!3's verse is pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

7. "Hungover" - My favorite track on the album. It's not typical Ke$ha. Her heart is broken, and she put it into a song. Plain and simple. It's a great slow(er) song that's definitely worth a listen.

8. "Party At a Rich Dude's House" - Like I've said before to other songs on other artists' albums, this is the song that you just have to be in the mood for. The beat and concept are pretty cool, but the lyrics are just mediocre.

9. "Backstabber" - Another song I could do without. It's too similar to "Kiss 'n' Tell".

10. "Blind" - I love this one! She should really do more slower songs. Her boyfriend dumped her, but she won't let him see her at her worst. She knows that he's nothing without her. Attagirl!

11. "Dinosaur" - This one is just so strange. It's about an old guy hitting on her and her friends, and is yet another one I could easily do without. Kinda creepy.

12. "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" - It's just kinda okay. Nothing really special.

13. "Boots & Boys" - Again, just okay.

14. "Animal" - What a GREAT way to end the album! Bravo, Ke$ha. Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment