Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't Leave Me Waitin' Longer, Why You Wanna Make Me Long For Ya?

(Singles are italicized, recommendations are in red).

If there's any pop star who made the stealthiest, most gradual transition from wholesome, sweet teen to freaky and flirty free bird, Britney Spears would be the one. With her 1999 debut album, ...Baby One More Time, Britney came across as a sweet moral-driven teenage girl. That slowly changed in 2000 with her second album, Oops!...I Did It Again, which showed us a slightly more provocative Spears gracing the album's cover with her midriff, and a little more adult lyrics. By 2001, the sweet teen that once was Britney Spears was long gone and abandoned in order to make way for the new, grown-up, more risque Britney, and there was no looking back from there. With the release of Britney, we show a more mature Britney, who at this point in time was not completely trashy or tacky. She was just Britney trying to find out who she was as an adult and as an entertainer. It's not a complete mess, but it's one of my least favorite pre-breakdown Britney albums.

1. I'm A Slave 4 U - The debut single that shocked critics and fans alike! This steamy, sexy track manages to keep things semi-classy, yet addictive. From the moment the first line is spoken "I know I may be young // But I've got feelings too", it's clear that Britney wants us to know one thing: she's grown up, but she's still young.

2. Overprotected - Another song about growing up and being free. Britney talks about how she feels so overprotected. It's not the greatest song here, but it's not the worst.

3. Lonely - As if one didn't learn from Oops!..'s "Don't Go Knockin' On My Door", an angry Britney howls that she's moved on and she will not take you back. I like to think of this one as Don't Go Knockin' On My Door, Part 2.

4. I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman - Does the title not tell it all? It's a pretty song, and the message is clear that she's grown enough to make her own decisions, but still needs time to learn from her mistakes.

5. Boys - The beat and music for this song is... different, and I was in love with this song for that reason for a really long time. Looking back on it now and listening to it again, while I enjoy it, I can't say I enjoy it as much. Still recommended, though. I enjoyed the Co-Ed remix with Pharrell much better.

6. Anticipating - This is probably the best song on the album. It's all about going out and having fun with your friends, and that's what life at this age should be about.

7. I Love Rock 'n' Roll - It's a different style for Britney. I don't hate it, and it's a welcomed addition. Very fun song. On an interesting side note, by this point in her career, Britney had at least 1 cover song on each of her three albums.

8. Cinderella - Here's another song I used to love, but now I'm just not a fan. It's a good listen, but there's better on the album.

9. Let Me Be - Like a few other songs from this album, the title says it all: go away! You don't know the real me! It's not very angry, just Britney calmly telling the listener to leave well enough alone.

10. Bombastic Love - This is another unique song. It sounds like a typical pop song but at the same time it doesn't. Either way it's great.

11. That's Where You Take Me - A sweet ballad that will surely make your heart melt. I'm lovin' it.

12. What It's Like To Be Me - Her then-boyfriend Justin Timberlake partially wrote and produced, as well as provided backing vocals on this somewhat average song. Take it or leave it.

Non-North American Bonus Tracks:

1. When I Found You - It's okay, but when it's sequenced after That's Where You Take Me (as it is on international Special Editions), the message and themes of the two songs lose their meanings and things just start to sound repetitive. Either way, this song is just somewhat bland to begin with.

2. I Run Away - This one's a little weird. Her voice is too "airy" and "whispery" here.

3. Before The Goodbye - This is the best out of all 3 bonus tracks, though that's not saying much. This one's a tad bland too. I'm beginning to see why these three tracks weren't included on all editions of the album!

No comments:

Post a Comment